Gold Home Page
Last Updated: 10/10/02 10:51 pm PDT
Welcome Back Everyone,
It's almost time to get back to work
I will have more information about the specifics of the project as we get closer to the start of the trial. The new build could be available as early as next week, or as late as the end of the month. Let's all get back into the habit of reading the newsgroup at least daily.
I'm very happy and excited to be working with you all on a project again.
I'll be in contact soon with all of you,
NewsGroup Post From The Mod:
Build 21662 roll request has been submitted this evening. They should
roll the build out by approx. 7 p.m. PST. Please refer to your group
homepage for build information. And remember...file bugs as soon as you
see them. The sooner we get them reported the sooner we can hope to have
Last Updated: 10/18/02 5:10 pm PDT
Welcome Back Everyone,
It's time to get back to work
You will be receiving your first build of the 2.8 trial on Sunday evening 10/20/02. I'll notify you the day of the upgrade in the newsgroup.
The main areas of focus for this release are:
There are no real features in this release, but a lot of work went into fixing the bugs that have been nagging us for some time and to increasing where we can go and what we can do with our webbies!
- Website compatibility: You should notice that many sites that used to not work well with your unit will now function as expected. I will pull together the list of problem sites you've provided over the last year to cross reference.
- SSL (Secure Sockets Layer): We've added a number of encrypted websites certificates to our list of compatible certificates. What does this mean for you? It means that many encrypted sites (banking, shopping, enrollment, etc...) that used to give compatibility errors will now be accessible.
- This change will not be in the first few builds. I will let everyone know when the change is in place so we can begin looking for bugs MSN Chat: Some back end changes were made to chat. You should see no difference, but if you do, please be sure to report the issues.
- Pop-up windows changing security levels: This change is pretty confusing and hard to determine whether it working or not from a webtv...er MSN TV. Please look for specific instructions under Reporting Instructions.
I'm just happy to get back to work with you guys. This lull has been way too long!
Problem Report Instruction
Last Updated: 10/18/02 5:10 pm PDT
Please use the instructions below when posting to the newsgroup or filing Problem Reports.
Trial Specific Reporting
- Popup Windows and SSL Connections - Currently whenevera page uses code to open another browser window on a PC (either window.open() or href target-"_blank"), the MSNTV browser will append that new window to the bottom of the original page. We made changes specifically for when the new window changes security levels. Security has never been compromised, but currently some new windows that are secure do not discly as being secure becasue they are appended to a non-secure page. Clear as mud, eh? Basically, now if you select a link from a non-secure page that opens a new window to a secure page, it will generate a new page and display the "secure" icon and information. The same would happen in reverse, only the secure icon would not display. If you select a link that generates a new window, but does NOT change security levels, it will just append the page as it currently acts. Bugs we're concerned about are those that will affect whether secure pages are treated properly or not. This will be nearly impossible to tell on a MSN TV unit, so if you suspect that a link is using "window.open" code AND changes security levels but is not displaying the security information properly, please forward the url and specify the links so that I can verify on a PC.
Problem Report Form
A PR should be filed whenever you've discovered a bug. If you're not sure what you've discovered is a bug, consult your fellow Previewers via the newsgroup. If you're still unsure, file the PR and the moderator will make a determination. Most important is that nothing is overlooked.
When filing a PR, it is extremely important to be as specific as possible, using standard english when describing the issue and steps to reproduce. Steps to reproduce should be written such that a WebTV novice could easily reproduce the issue from the steps given. If you are unable to determine the exact steps to reproduce a problem, please specify that in the PR.
The newsgroup is a forum for discussing WebTV performance issues. Common posts include: "Has anyone else seen this?"; or "Hey everyone, try this and see if you get the same result."; or "Help!!! I can't figure out how to..."
The newsgroup is also the most used method for the moderators to gather specific information, often requiring immediate response. That is why it is requested that Previewers visit the newsgroup at least daily.
It is expected of all Previewers to treat the newsgroup as a professional forum for discussing bugs and WebTV performance as it relates to the Previews Program. It is also expected that we will at times disagree with the ideas or preferences of others in the group, but keep in mind that this is a professional forum, and you are expected to act as such. We are all working toward the same goal of maintaining WebTV's superiority in the internet/TV arena.
Any threatening, abusive, or inappropriate posts to the newsgroup or email to fellow Previewers will be addressed immediatley by the group moderator and may result in removal from the Previews Program.
For more info on 2.8 upgrade check out the Green group.
Back to Webtv Msntv Secret Pics/Info